Virtual Worlds Online
The growth of virtual worlds online has exploded in recent years. Millions of users log onto virtual worlds every day. These users find alternative realities in a virtual world and use these online worlds for gaming and communicating with others.
Virtual Worlds Explained
Virtual worlds online are computer-generated environments where users interact using avatars. An avatar is a user’s online personality or a 3D figure created to represent the user while he is in virtual space. The ability to have avatars interact is the main impetus behind virtual worlds.
The user’s computer is his access into the world of virtual reality. After registering and logging in to a virtual online world the user will be presented with various scenarios, realistic and imagined, in which he can interact.
Virtual worlds online can mimic the real world and real life situations or can be totally based on fantasy. Rules and other measures usually exist in a virtual world to give directions to users. Rules may focus on behavior and netiquette while in the virtual environment, how to communicate with other users, or how your avatar will move in the virtual world.
The Walls Come Tumbling Down
Virtual worlds are used by people from all over the world to interact, play, and communicate. A user might imagine that he will be able to keep his virtual and real life experiences separate but will immediately find this is difficult.
With users from many different cultures logging onto virtual worlds they all bring something of themselves to the virtual environment. Even in virtual worlds that are clearly fantasy based users find there is no way to keep a wall up between their real and fantasy lives.
Your Virtual World or Mine?
Virtual worlds are basically gigantic socializing arenas. 3D games, blogs, chat rooms, and actual “worlds” allow users to communicate with each other. One popular virtual online world, Second Life, is also famous for its many bars, nightclubs anbd other places where avatars hang out, hear music, dance, and enjoy each other’s company.
Socialization in virtual online worlds is very popular with people who are not comfortable socializing in the real world. A virtual world allows them to meet others and interact without ever having to meet face to face.
Socialization in virtual online worlds is also a factor that many detractors of virtual reality point to as being dangerous. It is their contention that many stalkers and abusers target people online and that child pornography and illegal materials may exist in a virtual world.
New and Improved Virtual Worlds
Creators of virtual worlds online are constantly improving the virtual experience for their users. As virtual worlds become more popular developers are finding many ways to tweak these worlds and allow for more personalized game play.
Second Life, mentioned before as a popular online virtual world, faced many negative criticisms concerning minors become residents in the Second Life world. Linden Lab, the creators of the Second Life virtual world, recognized the dangers faced by minors in a virtual world where no controls existed. They created Teen Second Life (nowadays not in operation) for younger users and have monitors who search for inappropriate actions or use of inappropriate content between users.
Virtual Worlds online are a reality. It is important for parents to be aware of what they are, what they offer, and if their children are active in virtual worlds. For Virtual world users the massive growth of these worlds is seen as a tremendous advantage. More users bring more to the game and force developers to constantly develop new content for virtual worlds online.
Virtual Worlds: Past, Present and Future. The Virtual Worlds Info Ebook!
Like Us on Facebook!
Follow Us on Twitter!
- Virtual Worlds Info
- Information about Virtual World Life and Topics
- Second Life Resources
- Second Life resources are available to help all second Life users. The Second Life Knowledge Base is the place for beginners and advanced Second Lifers to go when they need a question answered.
- Create Your Own Virtual World
- It is possible to create your own virtual world. This article describes the process many users employ to create their own virtual world.
- Virtual Worlds for Kids
- Virtual worlds for kids are very popular. There are many virtual sites that offer safe online experiences for kids.
- Best Online Communities
- The best online communities can be hard to find. Users have to sift through hundreds of potential communities to find the one just right for them. This article offers some online community suggestions
- Second Life Avatars
- Second Life avatars allow Second Life (S.L.) users to express themselves in the virtual world. S. L. avatars can be realistic or a user can live out his fantasy with his avatar.
- Second Life Business
- Owning a Second Life business is one way that many second Lifers make money in the Second Life virtual world. The business opportunities in second Life are limitless.
- About Virtual Reality
- Many computer users want to know about virtual reality. This article discusses virtual reality and gives users a feel for what it is and how it works.
- Virtual Chat World
- A virtual chat world allows users to chat with each other in a bright and vibrant realistic environment. An outgrowth of message boards and chat rooms, chat worlds are growing in popularity.
- Online Virtual Worlds
- Online virtual worlds are very popular with millions of computer users. This article discusses what they are and why they are so popular.
- Virtual Life Newsletter
- Subscribe to the Virtual Life Newsletter to get information about virtual worlds, avatars and Second Life.
- Virtual Worlds Info Ebook
- Find, in the Virtual Worlds Info ebook, over 70 illustrated pages about the past, present and future of virtual worlds.
- Second Life Designer
- Get your own Second Life designer. Customised design, building and scripting services.
- Virtual Worlds Info Store
- Virtual worlds Info store includes a selection of the best Second Life, virtual worlds and virtual reality products, mainly books and eBooks.
- Second Life Referrer
- Second Life Referrer, join Second Life
- Second Life Store
- Second Life Store, visit the Marketplace
- About Virtual Worlds Info
- About Virtual Worlds Info will give you all the information about a real-life Virtual World inhabitant.
- Contact Virtual Worlds Info
- Contact Virtual Worlds Info for more information about virtual life.
- Virtual Worlds Info Sitemap
- A Virtual Worlds Info Sitemap to find the website pages easily